Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Vibration on right front when turning right
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
AJRastaman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 40530
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 AJRastaman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vibration on right front when turning right

I have a 2002 ZTW with 160,000 miles, automatic transmission. Recently there has been a vibration on the right front when turning right, especially from a stop and also when there is a dip in the road that compresses the suspension a bit. I noticed the sway bar link on the right side was broken at the joint on the bottom, so I figured it might be rubbing on the drive shaft. I finally got around to replacing the sway bar links today. Very easy repair, parts were about $12 each and it only took about 30 minutes to get the right side done. (If anyone is having trouble with replacing those, I would be more than happy to discuss my experience with that repair.)

I was running out of daylight after completing the right side sway bar link, so I just wanted to check and see if the left side was also broken at the joint to prepare for replacing it tomorrow. I put it in drive, turned the steering wheel nearly full to the right so I could see the sway bar link real well on the left side. Then the vibration sound started when the steering wheel was about 3/4 to full right, but went away when I put it in neutral. Clearly it isn't anything rubbing on the drive shaft since I wasn't moving at all. I tried turning to the left with the transmission in drive just to check it out, no vibration at all.

I did some research about it and found it could be a CV joint. I wanted to run it by the community here to see what everyone else thought before I start replacing things, I don't want to make any repairs that aren't needed right now. I understand that a 10 year old car with 160K miles is going to need things replaced, but for now I can only afford to repair what must be done to keep the car going. If there are any other details needed, or things I should check to narrow down the problem, I am open to ideas. This forum has been such a huge help in keeping my Focus on the road with minimal repair cost, and I appreciate all that everyone has posted over the years. Thank you all in advance.