Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - broken exhaust manifold stud
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
berndt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102080
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE

Points 543, Level 10
Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 berndt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool broken exhaust manifold stud

Went to take the exhaust manifold out, to replace it. I suspected a cracked one. Sure enough, after zapping the bolts with some PB Blaster, and letting it sit for 10 or so minutes, I find a big crack almost all the way around the manifold between the 3 and 4th pipe.

The heat shield came off nice and easy. Hit the head studs with some PB Blaster, and let that sit a little while longer. Then those bolts came out real easy! Amazing, I might finish this in a couple hours, I thought. Then I got to the last bolt / stud, closest to the front of the engine, near the power steering pump. Put the socket on it, and gave it a VERY light tug. And it popped right off. It musta been broke already, or ready to go, since I didn't apply much pressure at all!

Looks like it broke off about a threads width into the side of the block. How on earth am I to get that out now? Or just put the new manifold back on and hope it'll work out with out it? 'cause Im really not in the mood for taking the whole mess out to get a square line on it to drill it out, and re-tap it. That'd include the power steering pump, serpentine belt, engine mount, coolant overflow......