Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseC View Post
First, i want to thank everyone on this board for providing so much information about the new Focuses. I've had my new 2012 Focus SE for a week, and what I've read on these message boards was very helpful in making my decision.

I'm having a problem with the SYNC system, I've searched the forums (and the internet in general) and have found no information on this. I'm not sure if the best thing to do would be to start a new post or to add on to this thread, so my apologies if I'm doing this "wrong".

I've got the "basic" SYNC package, not MyFordTouch.
I finally (after 3 tries) got a portable hard drive formatted correctly (that is, FAT32, not NTFS or exFAT) and it has all my music on it. Voice control works great. So far working very smoothly.

I can plug in my tiny MP3 player (which I use for library audiobooks that have DRM) into the line-in and listen to that. From there, I can switch over to the USB and have my full music library available. However, when I try to switch back to the Line In *after* I have played music of the USB hard drive, the car tells me: "Line in is unavailable when a device is connected to USB".
To switch back to line in I have to open the center console and unplug the hard drive. It automatically switches back to line in. I can immediately plug the hard drive back in and the line in continues playing.

So, as the line in seems to work with a USB device connected, it seems like this is some kind of software glitch. Is this really the way this is supposed to behave? Has anyone else run across this? Any chance that there's an update out there that will fix this?

Thanks for all your help,
Joe

PS: is it just me, or, even though "shuff" appears all the time when playing music over USB, (Down the bottom, as a "tab" induiction of what the four buttons on the radio head do) there is no actual indication of if Shuffle is ON of OFF? Am I missing something?
Unfortunately, I can't speak with 100% certainty since I have MFT and not the basic SYNC package... but my guess would be for whatever reason it's designed so that when you plug in and play a USB device it disables the line in altogether. A stupid design, I agree, but if you're getting a message on screen saying just that, then I'm sure they did it on purpose.

What kind of MP3 player are you using? And do the basic SYNC equipped cars have just one or two USBs? I would say if you have an iPod or a Zune, connect it via USB with the sync/charge cable you got with it, because then you'll be charging and you'll also be able to control the content via the SYNC screen. (This should actually work with any MP3 player provided it uses a USB interface with your computer)

Of course this adds to the inconvenience if you only have one USB, so that suggestion is really only great if you have two USBs like the MFT cars do.

Otherwise, hopefully some more SYNC owners chime in with input and maybe a Ford IVT team member has some more light to shed on the issue.

And, you've posted correctly! Always better to post about problems/questions with an existing topic rather than create a new one every time, so thanks for that!
Sonic Crew #28