Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Open Grill Available?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonian View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post on Focus Fanatics. I've tried searching, but did not come up with a definitive answer to this question:

Does any aftermarket source sell open "mesh" type grill inserts for the 3rd generation? I ask because I've ordered an Oxford White Focus ST and I'd like eventually to swap the "catfish" front end / bumper/grill with the standard Focus front end, and then add some more aggressive touches -- something like this:

However, it looks like the standard Focus grill is mostly closed, so simply swapping them could lead to air flow issues with the intercooler on the ST. So I'm really hoping there are aftermarket inserts that allow more air flow.

Thanks!
I'm not aware of any wide open plastic mesh grille inserts that just slot in, but if you look closely at the ST grille openings you'll see that they precisely mimic that of the standard car. The top is shrouded in for the air intake, and the lower grille area is not much more open if at all, due to the fact that the car is designed to also use the exact same grille shuttter system to close off the grill at higher speeds when there is an excess of air pressure, as well as to help warm up the intercooler/ turbo/ powertrain when its really cold outside for better efficiency.