Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone else bump down from an ST3 to an ST2?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99045
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 DardenUnited Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The more I think about it, actually, the more I put myself in the original salesman's shoes since it parallels the way I'm selling my outgoing car. I have a buyer. He promised to come this weekend (even went so far as to obtain a cashier's check and show it to me via MMS), made travel plans and will supposedly drive the car away. All the while implicitly promising to me that he won't buy a different car if one becomes available to him locally (implicitly due to the unspoken rule of reciprocation - I explicitly promised him I wouldn't sell it to anyone else, either, even if a better offer comes my way). Is he full within his rights to reneg? Sure. He made a promise, but ultimately he doesn't owe me a thing. And, furthermore, I will have had ample warning since the color of my car is the last of five on his list of priorities (much like my dealer did when I e-mailed him asking how long it would take for me to get the ST2 instead of the ST3). He can call me tonight and tell me: "Sorry, dude, found a blue one $500 cheaper next door. Doesn't have the heated seats (which mine, ironically, has), but I don't need them and would rather save a few bucks." That puts him out the hotel and bus tickets he spent money on already (kinda like the Go Pro with me) and it puts me out of a sale. Guess what? I'm going to wish him luck and hang up the phone - not make it seem like he's the biggest jerk on the face of the planet. You know why? Because I have confidence in that my car is good enough for someone else to come along in a week and buy it - without me having to settle on a price I still think is a few hundred bucks too low (kinda like the A-plan, if you will). Yes, it's extra inventory in my hand (along with having to insure it, it's actually a lot more of a pain for me to keep a car in my driveway than for a dealer to keep "my" ST3 on the lot, relatively speaking), but I will sell it. And what am I going to achieve by getting mad and yelling at the dude? I'll make my own heartburn worse and will give him a case of it as well. Nerve cells don't re-generate, so why waste them?