Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Anyone else bump down from an ST3 to an ST2?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
DardenUnited
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99045
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 DardenUnited Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgonyer View Post
I hear you - and it's probably not a huge deal as I'm sure they will sell it, but again it's about peoples word which seems to mean less and less every day.

Were you in a situation that you NEEDED a car now? If so, I can understand - but still only to a point. They fact is Ford never promised these cars on any date other than "Fall 2012" so if you ordered it and expected to have it by a certain date - again that's on you.

I'm also VERY excited to get my ST, but I placed an order and I'll wait until mine arrives. It's only another few weeks.

Just my opinoin!
The reason I feel compelled to keep answering is because I actually do feel badly about it. A little bit, anyways.

Did I need a car right now? Not really. This isn't really about "needs" as nobody needs an ST. Did I want it before first snow hit the ground? You bet. Two extra months of driving it, considering how long I've waited for an ST to come stateside, is a HUGE deal to me. I was one of the first to order, so naturally I expected to be one of the first to get the car (not for the distinction of being among the first, mind you, but for the purposes of actually having it as close to the release date as possible).

What clinched it for me was the situation with the car I am driving right now. Two things: need to sell it (obviously) and it's coming up on its 60K mile service. As you may know, those aren't cheap for any vehicle, leave alone Europeans. So throwing away north of $500 for the 60K and then driving the car for only a month or so before selling it didn't make any sense to me. Plus, I found a buyer for it right now (fingers crossed that he comes this weekend) and would much rather have a car to drive when the old one is gone than ...do what?.. for two months. All of this, of course, is not information the first dealership cares about (as well it shouldn't, I suppose).

Like I said, I doubt the dealership will lose money on my order (especially if the experience of my second dealer is any indication - took less than a week from the first guy backing out for me to drive it away). And if the guy wasn't such a dick on the phone, I would have gone an extra mile to make it worth his while and show my appreciation (which I'm still kinda doing, having mentioned on numerous forums now that I have a canceled order which someone could possibly take over and still get the Go Pro). If nothing else, it increases their chances of selling the car to a non-A-plan member (not sure if they make any more money or if Ford kicks some over their way for selling to a plan customer anyways), although that might be a reach given that in SE MI everyone seems to be a plan customer of some kind. Like I said - I feel badly about the situation, but not overly so.