Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
...My driver's door has made a metallic creaking noise when you open it. It isn't that loud, but it's pretty irritating on such a nice new car. I've had it in to be fixed a few times already (my car has been in the shop probably 10 times for warranty stuff over the past year), yet it is no better.

The dealer sent it over to the body shop, and apparently the problem is within the sheet metal that the door mount attaches to. The solution is basically to hack out that bit and weld new stuff in (in short). I think it's around a $3000 job to do, even.

I just can't seem to think that this is a good idea... Am I wrong to be hesitant? It seems like it would open the door to new problems and never be the same again. It's some pretty major surgery, to say the least. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

I almost feel like I should not have it done and see if Ford will somehow compensate a different way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
...It is covered under warranty, but the issue is that the car won't be the same coming out the other end. They aren't just replacing a part, but sawing into the sheet metal and welding a new piece within it, repainting, etc. You'll be able to look at it and see the spot where it was reconstructed. Once you've spot welded new sheet metal in the door frame, it opens up potential for a world of new problems, such as door alignment issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard35 View Post
My car has had the "exact" same problem since the day I took ownership of it back in July of 2011. The dealer told me there was nothing that could be done to fix it, so if indeed the problem has been identified as a manufacturing defect then the new car warranty would apply. I would be more concerned that if the door was replaced, the paint would not match the rest of the car!
You're welcome to get second opinions if you'd like. Please contact our Canadian Customer Relationship Centre at 800-565-3673 for further assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Wait what...this isn't covered under the warranty?

If it is...let them do it. Anything that goes wrong will be on them to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Do not let them perform that kind of surgery. Get a second opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Maybe I am way off, but it seems like you can get an entirely new door for far less than $3000. If it's in the sheet metal itself, it sounds like a manufacturing defect. I'd make them replace it instead of trying to fix it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartly View Post
You need to take it to another dealer for a second opinion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
If it bothers you (as it would me) ... I'd have them do it and then make them work on it until it was perfect if need be. You have every right to a car that works properly without any self inflicted visible defects.

Good luck and I hope they fix it for you perfectly the first time!...
Thanks for jumping in and giving advice; you guys are awesome!

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply