Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
... go for the gates component kit (TCK# something) I would get the component kit because you don't want a bearing to seize and eat your belt. same with the water pump if its timing belt driven. BUT, it all depends on how tight your budget is and if you can afford to do the job again if the pump starts to grind or seizes up and eats the belt.

Zetec is non interference and IS the dohc engine. the spi is the sohc. if it asks for Vin info, yours is "3"
I spoke with 2 guys here at work (one races Miatas & the other used to be a Ford mechanic) & they both said to just order the timing belt & mark the cam/block unless I'm experiencing other problems (noise? vibration?). Is this Gates kit something I should order from Tousley Ford?

The water pump is driven off the serp belt. The former Ford mech agreed with most here, saying that it would probably fail within 6 mos if I don't replace it when replacing the serp belt. He also said he never replaced the tensioner (or idler?), but the consensus here seems to be "it's as worn as the belt," right? And from more forum reading I've learned that the Gates serp belt & tensioner are the ones to buy, rather than Ford brand. So maybe I just order Gates everything?

I think everyone recommends the Ford hydraulic motor mount, but what about water pump brand?

Thanks again to everyone!

[EDIT]--
The Gates kit #TCK294B (1-belt, 1-idler, 1-tensioner) & Dayco kit #95294K2 both say they're for interference engines. Is this a mis-print? The Dayco kit even states, "SE Model Engine VIN 3"

Last edited by Eiron; 09-06-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add info