suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Just want to chip in here; I love the transmission on my oh-twelve focus Ti. I think I've noticed what you guys are talking about, the slight shuddering at times when starting up. I don't find any particular fault in that, I just think the computer is confused by what I want and wasn't expecting shifts or starts. It reminds me of when I was first learning manual and dropped my foot off the clutch a bit too fast and almost stalled out.

I have found that I am now leaving it almost constantly in S mode now that I've taught it how I like to drive. For the first couple hundred klicks I shifted manually in S-mode: downshifting when braking (especially downhill), and it now knows to downshift for me.

I can honestly say this is the first automatic transmission I have actively liked. Given that this is the first mass produced ford with a dual-clutch computer-controlled manual, I can be a bit forgiving about the occasional clutch hiccough; and as yet it has never failed to kick in when I've needed.
Next scheduled service is in a month, so I'll bug them about it when it goes in. Just leaving a comment here.

Snip

Oh, and also: does anyone know if it's possible to recalibrate the gas tank? Last time I filled it up, I got in about 30 Litres (the capacity of the tank is about 49 litres, right?) despite the fact that it was a bit below the 1/4 mark.
No you can't re-calibrate the fuel gauge, its designed this way on purpose.

There are at least two reasons why the analog gauge lies to you.

One it's programmed to get you to refuel before you have the chance to run out of fuel.

Secondly once you use the reserve fuel you risk damaging the fuel pump as you start to either over heat it, or start actively sucking out any of the debris and deposits that formed on the bottom of the tank over time.

The guage is optimistic over the first half so that people feel that the fuel is going further and then drops aggressively on the lower half to remind you to get fuel sooner, or so that's how it appears in pretty much every car I've seen or driven in the last 6 or 7 years.