Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thinking of attempting Timing Belt Change
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the tips & collective experience!!

I don't have any leak-down testing equipment, or any special timing/Ford tools for this job. My repair experience over the past 13 yrs has been doing 98% of all of the repair work on my 1990 Saab 900 16v & my son's 1985 Saab 900 8v, & maybe 70% of the repairs to my wife's Saab 9-3 turbo. This Focus wagon is my daughter's first car. She's had it for 2 yrs & it's now 11 yrs old with 156k miles. I don't expect her to keep it for more than another 4 to 6 yrs before wanting something different.

So here's what I think I'm going to do:

Buy a Ford timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner & water pump from Tousley Ford. Maybe a new hydraulic (passenger) engine mount as well. (I replaced the two rubber mounts last year with RA cheapies.)
Since the car's running well (aside from a recent electrical problem after R&R the alt), I'll use the 'paint stripe' marking method to clock the DOHCs. Based on comments, it seems like a 'T' mark on each cam pulley/block would make sense.
I'll print out the 'How To' instructions for the Zetec & start the job on a Saturday morning, giving myself 2 full days to work on it.

Any additional suggestions or ideas would be highly welcomed!