Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thinking of attempting Timing Belt Change
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,091, Level 34
Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The biggest thing missing will be the skills to know when and where to look for the error when it doesn't run. The air pressure and BDC idea can have error in it of up to 5 degrees, there's always bearing, wrist pin slack that makes for a variance.

I never loosen cam sprockets at all, the motor was running before and will run after, the only error you can have that way is at least a full tooth which is easier to find. As touchy as SVTs are I'd be looking to do that on them too. Once you loosen the sprocket you are into minor part of tooth errors, but you gotta be good enough to be able to tension belt and tensioner in range with no timing error. Hard for most.

Use a mark put in line with say a head flat line or similar, putting the line straight up is a mistake, once you look at it a time or two you will find yourself questioning did it run slightly to the left or right? No close hand point of relationship. You'll be second guessing yourself in nothing flat.

I use homemade pin and camtool. The camtool can even be used to custom degree off a bit for playing with nonstock timing.