Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Another SGM MKIII Build Dyno Thread!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #60
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Right. I was in no way questioning your motives or observations/opinions. My comments were directed to wantz12's comment, and that's why I quoted him directly.
I understand, I just want this to be a relatively civil thread. Lots of people get wrapped around the axle over dyno info (not saying this is the case, just stating), and not a lot of people have had good data to look at to try and understand. Everyone has a different perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Are you only measuring to the MAF? Intake tract length would include the entire length of the tract that generates vacuum, correct? Wouldn't the tract length be measured to the filter on the K&N (where the vacuum chamber effectively ends), and past the filter to the snorkel on the stock intake?

Also, I wouldn't expect the stock box to necessarily gain hp with the lid removed due to filter/elbow restriction, but I wouldn't be surprised if low-RPM torque was reduced by removing the lid. Removing the lid would effectively shorten the intake tract.
My measurement comparison between the two is strictly speaking from manifold to MAF housing. My box is modified Newmission, snorkel delete, etc., and has been tested in multiple configurations, to include directing air at the plenum to remove vaccum (to simulate driving at speed). The lid-off information is actually relayed from Red's dyno info. I can't honestly remember if I tested that way or not, though I'm pretty sure I did. I would have to get all of the original files to see as we are nearing or over 30 pulls now.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-