suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishsaid View Post
I've had my focus for a little over two months and now have 3,000 miles. My combined Fuel is about 24mpg. That's up from 22 when I got it. I do mostly city driving. I have taken it to Wilmington and I got about 31 on that trip. I'm getting an oil change in it tomorrow and am hoping to see better gas mileage.

I previously had a 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L and with my driving I made 26mpg combined. I was hoping to be in the low 30s combined with this. I have been grandma-ing it much more compared to how I drove the Mazda3. Hopefully things will improve asap. So far I am not impressed with my mileage.
You must be doing virtually all stop light to stop light city traffic block after block to get it down that low?

I've really had to struggle to get it below 31 mpg even in town, but my commute to and from work is a mixture of surface streets, 55 mph highways, and 70 mph freeways, although I'm not always driving at 70 either due to traffic or other reasons. 10 mi/dir round trip maybe 2 mi or so on the 70 mi/hr road, then onto the surface street for another 2-3 miles, and another 2-3 mi near the end on the 55 mph highway, then onto surface streets again. This is usually with the a/c on the entire time, sometimes the seat heater, or defrost depending on the weather.

So technically its mixed driving biased towards the city, but its not block to block stop signs and red lights, the car seems especially sensitive to this as far as I can tell.

Are you getting the car into 6th gear around town? If not this might also be a contributing factor. Some were reporting after 12b37 a minimum entry speed for 6th of over 41mph, but others report no change to being able to get into 6th gear automatically at 35 mph at light throttle or steady speeds.