Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - fswerks cai and hydrolock ..anyone have issues with this?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,410, Level 57
Points: 7,410, Level: 57 Points: 7,410, Level: 57 Points: 7,410, Level: 57
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoreboost View Post
It fits on like a coupler I the middle of the two pieces of the intake, if water gets sucked up it hits the valve and gets released out the sides of it. Its actually pretty sweet.

And saying you live in a rainy area so you didn't get a cai is like saying your roads are too shitty to be slammed, its just not an excuse. Anyone anywhere can have one. Hydrolocking is not the devil everyone makes it out to be. It doesn't happen from driving through a two inch puddle, otherwise i'd be hydrolocked. As long as you keep the splash shield on the bottom and get a prefilter you'll be fine.
thats not exactly correct... the valve doesnt expel water through it. if the normal filter because submerge the valve opens and it sucks in air from the bypass. When there is a vacuum in the intake, from the end of the intake being submerged in water, the bypass valve opens to suck in air...once the vacuum stops(i.e. no longer submerged), it will resume sucking in air from the regular filter. air will take the path of least resistance.

That being said, I've driven in plenty of heavy rain situations and have not hydro locked my FSWerks CAI. Just be smart, avoid puddles, ponds and lakes. The factory splash guard will keep most of the water out, just dont submerge the front end of your car. If you are really worried about it, then dont modify your car. A SRI or CAI with bypass will pretty much decrease your chances of hdydro lock all together though...