Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Focus Electric Owners!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,975, Level 97
Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ford is not releasing the FFE like Nissan did the Leaf. You can order an FFE anywhere in the US, but it's only being shipped to dealers in green states currently. There are other electric cars on the market as well like the CODA, but I do believe that as far as the under $40k cars, the FFE is the best to date. Honda is supposed to be releasing a FitEV that has better MpgE than the FFE. If you've got the cash, Tesla's Model S can be ordered with some ridiculous battery options giving it a 360 mile range. That model is around $110k. If you can handle a meager 160 mile range, then you can get into a Muskmobile for around $60k. Li-Ion cars, winner of the EV X-prize, is still planning on producing their own vehicle. Likewise, the much more interesting Perusu is still going to be produced as a ICE, hybrid, and EV. I'll have to wait on that one to see if they make the EV performance oriented- as it should be.

What's not picking up, to my disappointment, is the DIY market. There are still very few AC EV motors out there. There are a ton of DC motors, but the AC motor is the way to go once you understand the limitations of DC. The drawback is that AC motors cost 2-4x as much as comparable DC motors.

Good news for disc/drum ICE owners, Middle TN Univ has invented a hybrid add-on system that will work with any vehicle. It's in the R&D process now to figure out how to modulate the electric assist. Instead of the electric motors fully driving the car when it's moving at low speeds like traditional hybrids, the add-on system simply boosts output at low speeds thereby increasing acceleration and mileage. That's really interesting IMO.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.