Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Just bought a used 2012 Focus Titanium
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTite View Post
$3K for warranty and oil changes?? That is a lot of money for a car that still has most all of the factory warranty in tact. I don't know how many miles you drive yearly, but seems you are paying a lot for the services. Don't worry about the DCT, try driving around in S mode when city driving, and use the manual shift it is fun to drive that way. Given the cars you were looking at, you made the right decision. If you change your mind on the warranty you can get a refund...I'm surprised with such low mileage it wasn't a Certified Used. Relax and enjoy your new toy!
It was a certified used, the extended warranty is for is just that, to extend the premium care for an additional 36k or 3 years. Which is why I I'm second guessing my decision. The dealer IMO kinda bullied me into the warranty reminding me there are 22 (23?) computers, and telling me that I can't even change the oil in this car without an an OBD2 scanner to turn off the maintenance light... (Which is no big deal but still seems ridiculous). Basically they told me that I will not be wanting to work on this car because the electronics are too complex and I will mess it up, which made me pretty much get up out of my seat and say "then this isn't the car for me".... But somehow they pulled me back in... On the bright side, getting the extended warranty lowered my interest to 2.09% only .4% difference, but that sort of discounted itself a bit. By the finance managers math, if I include maintenance, the warranty is a wash over the life of the loan, but I'm not so sure.

I'm also skeptical about only changing the oil every 7500 miles or so, and NOT using synthetics!?

I'm used to doing my own maintenance, with synthetic oil and good filters like a K&N or Mobile1, so I'm really second guessing my decision to let for take care of it for me. I do admit that oil changes on cars are not as easy as doing them on my truck though, since it requires jack and stands, but at least i know it's done right and some newb isn't going to strip my drain bolt..