Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #64
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ContiProContact OE Tires

Hi,
Sorry for beating a dead ... thread(?) .... but my Focus was built in July, and came with the ContiProContact tires that this thread was started over, and I dislike them to the point that I plan on replacing them within the week!

I have three complaints about the tires:

1. They are quiet on smooth roads, but on older pavement they roar loudly (especially at hwy speeds), and they BOOM when going over bumps.

2. Big bumps and broken pavement feel VERY rough, and the noise from the tires doesn't help. I have read reviews from other owners that share this opinion about the roughness with these tires.

3. The ride quality feels numb on smooth roads. When driving newer cars, I normally feel a glass-smooth quality to the ride, as if you can tell that the new wheel bearings are perfectly lubricated and have zero play. I'm sure that's the case with my Focus' bearings, but it feels like the tires are adding some 'squishy' quality to the road feel - sort of like if there was 1/2 inch of foam everywhere on the road. I have tried different tire pressures - both above and below the recommended 35 psi - but it hasn't helped.

I know others have complained about the noise and the roughness with the ContiProContact, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt this 'numb' quality on their Foci with these tires?