Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #1129
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I first started poking around for he clunk I thought it was the inner fender too. There is a lot of plastic attached loose-ish to the car, so I figured that was it. I insulated things in there pretty good, and could not make the clunk go away. Since the clunk is temperature related, this plastic stuff made sense to me as the source of the sound. That makes WAY more sense than springs and strut bearings. I never actually removed the inner fender, but that sounds like a very good step in a logical troubleshooting plan.
I had the TSB done, and the clunk did go away for a while but returned as soon as the temperature went below 72 degrees. I will say that steering is much better after the TSB. It was noisy, binding, lumpy, and all of that is one now. That would be the bearings of course, so he TSB is good for something. The springs are quieter going of speed bumps now too, so I guess that part of the TSB was worthwhile.
The TSB simply does address the clunking, loose, falling apart, 15 year old car vibe, which is simply not acceptable for a new modern car. At least it's hot enough lately to keep my noise to a minimum. Below 72 degrees is another story:) I live in ca, so I don't know the lower end of the temperature sensitivity.