Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Another SGM MKIII Build Dyno Thread!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #33
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
But, for the price, would you say newmission/ram-ish/K&N is an effective and cost effective mod? We see gains for much less $$$, but we're not extracting that last little bit of oomph.
For the cost, I think the mods far outweigh the benefits of the SRI/CAI's. I think that those who are considering fuel mileage a benefit, that non-Newmission is probably best for in-town commuting while the Newmission addition is probably best for those commuting long highway distances. The loss of hp/tq in the lower range definitely doesn't help those with stop-and-go.

I'm not a fan of the sound of the K&N, but my opinion is slightly skewed due to the lunchbox delete. I'm trying to imagine the sound without the delete, and that's probably not fair. When coupled with the lunchbox delete, it actually blends rather well. And for people who spend time above the 4k range, it does have a good pull to it.

I'm curious as to how all of this data stacks up against the Steeda. General comparison has shown the Steeda to produce better numbers, but that's been with varying vehicles.

The other consideration, which definitely does apply to some people, is the 'wow' factor. For anyone who likes to show their car, they pretty much need an intake. All of the pics I've seen of the Steeda and now seeing the K&N installed-they dress up the engine really well

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161