Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #1128
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
I just came in from the garage. This rattle is pretty much driving me nuts! I removed the left front wheel and started tapping around with a dead blow hammer.
Everything feels and sounds solid.
Then I gave the inner fender a bit of a tap with my fist. Well that made a sound like the fender was going to fall off!!!
Not only is it loud, the fact that the inner fender is sort of kind of parabolically shaped amplifies the rattle considerably. I wonder if this might be my noise source?
It takes just the right road surface condition to cause it to happen, like bad expansion joints , 1" sudden drops where an approach meets the road etc.
I'm going to remove both inner fenders on the weekend and take a short drive to confirm if this is a problem. If it is, I'll find a way to isolate the points of contact. Might even consider applying sound deadener to the inner surface of the inner fender.
I'll report back at some point during the weekend and let you all know what I find.
Update: I traced the inner fender noise to loose fasteners. While under the car I noticed that most of the grease from the LH CV joint is now located on the frame. The boot is damaged.
This is what happens when incompetent technicians work on your vehicle. You take the car in to have one problem taken care of and you end up leaving with two. I am starting to hate this car.