DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothcarn View Post
How often is this the problem?
Common. Factory didn't leave enough slack in the harness, wires are thin gauge at the connector, engine heat and torque make wires brittle. You can tell by the number of threads here on FF that it's a "common" to "very common" failure point on older cars.
The fact that it's two cylinders at once and you're getting a DTC code of P0352 increases the confidence level to near 100%. (Nothing's certain without actually being there to inspect it.)

From Ford:
P0351 Through P0360 - Ignition Coil A through J Primary/ Secondary Circuit Malfunction
Each ignition primary circuit is continuously monitored. The test fails when the PCM does not receive a valid IDM pulse signal from the ignition module (integrated in PCM).
Causes:
Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit - car runs albeit badly so you can rule this out
Open coil driver circuit in harness
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil - you've replaced it
Damaged PCM - Ford puts this in as a catch all. PCMs rarely fail and when they do they usually fail completely
Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR - would probably blow a fuse

Quote:
Mine isn't firing plugs 2 and 3. Replaced the coil already, and still have the code. I don't have any tool to check the continuity and it isn't intermittant. I'm just hoping it's not an open farther down in the wiring harness.
It's unlikely. Peel back the protective plastic shroud around the coil connector wires until it goes into the main harness. That will give you an indication of the wiring integrity. Also look for chafing or burns along that short length. If you see corrosion at the coil connector end or wiring casing splits then that's a sign the problem is there. Once the wires go into the main harness and through the firewall, wiring failure is rare, imo.
The other area of concern would be the coil itself but you've exchanged it for a new one so you can rule that out (unless you're concerned with the coil quality)

Quote:
The PCM itself is a simple swap, I just don't have the time, tools, or money at the moment to replace a large portion of the harness or take it into a dealer that will charge and arm and a leg.
PCM may be a simple hardware swap but getting your anti-theft system to recognise it will be a different story.
The proposed solution of coil connector repair is the cheapest, quickest and most likely correct one. Worst case scenario is it doesn't solve the problem and you are out $50.