Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If the TCM is always learning why do some people seem to have almost no issues, or none at all. Where as others have a period where its better after the update then slowly devolves to being as bad as before? Would this be due to the information that was fed to the TCM, or is this just bad logic/ programming?

Just curious, since some people are specifically reporting a large improvement after an update or a removal of power, until after the learning window resets and the car implemented what it learned over the previous cycle.
I am referring only to the clutch enagagement.

I have blanked the adaptive memory several times (with an IDS) and whether I do the adaptive learning "by the book" or don't do it at all, the results (after a couple of days) are always the same. The clutch engagement is smooth and I have zero problems with the transmission.

The reason that I say it is always learning:

The TCM monitors input shaft speed (for both input shafts) and the output shaft speed so it "knows" exactly how much clutch slippage there is at all times. Keeping that in mind:

1) Clutches do wear over time. If the TCM wasn't "learning", it couldn't compensate for the clutch wear.

2) If you think about it, there is absolutely no reason why the TCM should ever stop "learning".