Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,871, Level 66
Points: 9,871, Level: 66 Points: 9,871, Level: 66 Points: 9,871, Level: 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I'm sorry, but an "auto" transmission that is supposed to be fully protected by the software (e.g. preventing travel into too-high or too-low rpm ranges) should not be able to be foiled by the actions of the operator. Ford chose the DCT which is potentially more software-dependent than any transmission to come before it. Therefore the software should guarantee proper operation independent of the driver. Period.

Suss, I don't know the full extent of your background with Ford, but I've been a Ford driver for around 24 years now beginning with my 1980 Thunderbird 4.9L and, even given that, I'm not going to easily give Ford a pass on the DCT. I'm loyal to them (so far) but I demand good (not even excellent) quality from them in return.
Since I have no connection to the people who designed, tested or built the car I can't say I know 100% how they operate. So I won't give them a free pass either, but I will say that so far *gently taps on the soft touch dash* the DCT hasn't given me any issues even in heavy traffic, but I do try and keep space around the car, which isn't always possible.

I have more concerns with why a badge wasn't properly attached which cost the company around $41 in warranty repair work so far, or why the heated seats don't seem to get very warm on their hottest setting.

The DCT is presumed to be a fly in the ointment, but I would feel this way if they had instead used the conventional 6F35 as I do not give their Van Dyke Assembly plant a free pass because they have built the majority of the shoddy FWD transmissions that Ford had used since the 1980s.

The primary reason I got the automatic this time was that the car only came equipped as such in the U.S. in this trim level and color.

If I was willing to go with grey or silver I might have ended up with an SE sport 5-speed hatch or sedan as rear disk brakes and alloy wheels were on the must have list, but so too was the specific paint color, Frosted Glass, which really narrowed down the options to the SEL (sedan or hatch), since that was the only permutation that allowed for this.

I was half torn towards going for a much more basic model and nearly paying for the whole thing up front in cash since I was putting down such a large down payment anyway.

The only Ford I had actually legally owned was a 2003 CVPI, but for a time I was responsible for daily driving my grandmothers 1999 Ford Taurus, and before that I was driving my Father's 98 that blew up the transmission at 106k, and was never quite right again after the rebuild. The tach on that car would shoot up to 6k and it would not shift properly until you let off the throttle near the end of its days with us.

My Crown vic was an ex taxi and ex city of Chicago cop car so it had been beaten to hell, but it was meant to be a project car that never got finished before I had to get rid of it.