Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...However you can't rule out the actions of the driver, particularly in heavy stop and go traffic if you're constantly applying and releasing the 1-3-5-R clutch at low speed by creeping forward in stop and go traffic like they used to with a torque converter which is a wet coupling that allows for slippage without excessive damage where as a slipping clutch is a clutch that is wearing out quickly....
I'm sorry, but an "auto" transmission that is supposed to be fully protected by the software (e.g. preventing travel into too-high or too-low rpm ranges) should not be able to be foiled by the actions of the operator. Ford chose the DCT which is potentially more software-dependent than any transmission to come before it. Therefore the software should guarantee proper operation independent of the driver. Period.

Suss, I don't know the full extent of your background with Ford, but I've been a Ford driver for around 24 years now beginning with my 1980 Thunderbird 4.9L and, even given that, I'm not going to easily give Ford a pass on the DCT. I'm loyal to them (so far) but I demand good (not even excellent) quality from them in return.