Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank102 View Post
"not necessarily this execution " ?
Well that seems to be the general consensus of those who dislike the gearbox.

Personally I'm of the opinion that this gearbox (the DCT250/DPS6/ PowerShift dry dual clutch automated manual) is a good gearbox. I personally prefer it over the 6F35 in the Escape and Fusion.

I've had good experiences with each and every one of the five I had driven with various mileages, from 3 miles at the delivery of my car which has over 3700 miles to date; to a rental car with over 17k miles at the time which was a regular (non-select shift) version from March 2011 with an in service date of 4/11.

I don't doubt that there is a possibility that there were some cases of mechanical failures evidenced by reports of leaking gearboxes destroying clutches, and metal shavings found in the transmission oil in cases where the gearbox was allegedly not synchonizing the gear changes properly.

However you can't rule out the actions of the driver, particularly in heavy stop and go traffic if you're constantly applying and releasing the 1-3-5-R clutch at low speed by creeping forward in stop and go traffic like they used to with a torque converter which is a wet coupling that allows for slippage without excessive damage where as a slipping clutch is a clutch that is wearing out quickly. Although even when I've driven both a manual (my old prizm for over 44k miles that already had 191k miles on it with x amount on the clutch when I got it); and my DCT in heavy stop and go traffic I try to leave a bit more space to be able to try and maintain at least 5-10 mph rather than constantly stopping. However this is not always possible, but even then I don't seem to have the issues that others have. Is that due to me driving mine differently even in drive without thinking about it? Or is it due to some software or mechanical differences either in the adaptive learning or the clutch break in?

Its just my opinion, and it seems that the majority of cars were fine, but some are reporting conflicting results to the latest software updates with essentially the same car, which doesn't make sense. E.X. a raised shift point into 6th that doesn't apply to every car. My car was built with the latest firmware for the engine and transmission but it still shifts into 6th at 35 mph at very light or moderate throttle/ steady speed, but people like Kam reports a shift point nearer to 41 mph which means staying in 5th longer and using more fuel in town.