Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Well that's just wrong. If that were true there wouldn't have been multiple software "fixes" or, as Motor Trend reported, "some rolling changes to the hardware that have been rolled out on more recently built cars, including revised "long-shoulder rivets" in the clutch itself". Insinuating that there have been other hardware changes we don't know about to try to address the DCT's erratic behavior.
Note I said with the dct as in the concept, not necessarily this particular execution, although mine has not given me any problems to date, even if I switch from driving with a lighter foot or playing with manual mode to going flat out to anything in between. Occasionally it does feel like a manual with a heavy flywheel, but that's usually only in manual mode in low gears coasting down in heavy traffic, which is where I'd expect it to behave this way. In D or S auto it does not behave that way and tends to be very smooth. Way better than any torque converter automatic that Ford had ever put in any FWD car. I like mine and have no real complaints about it.

Manufacturing process changes and hardware changes indicate that there was a concern with the original parts, but not necessarily that they were defective. Software updates to try and mimic a conventional automatic and appease the general public were deemed necessary if they wanted to continue to sell it as a normal automatic. Since the majority of people who buy cars with an automatic transmission expect it to behave exactly like the torque converter backed standard auto gearbox since that's what they are used to. So they tend to creep forward in traffic and expect the car not to roll back on a hill ever. Even though in a manual these things are expected and one needs to compensate for them. This is also why if you were to creep up a hill at low speeds for a long time they warned that you may burn the clutch out so they put in the transmission hot, stop warnings, et al.