Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #79
Tony M
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103251
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tony M Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarch View Post
I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.
I have over 11,000 miles on my 2012 SE and the tranny grinding and jerkyness have not gone away, they have actually gotten worse. I also have an issue where the tranny holds gears for way too long. I had the transmission software update about 5,000 miles ago and things were better for about 2 weeks then slowly started to deteriorate. This would be a great car if it had a different transmission. The car is going back to the dealer this afternoon.