Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy75 View Post
Considering buying a new Focus SE Sport. I like to shift for myself but I must admit in these days of cell-phones and traffic jams that automatics are less of a hassle. I've heard so much bad press about the 6-speed PowerShift and I just wonder if it has gotten any better with the 2013 model year. I saw a video on YouTube of a 2012 and it looked like when you're taking it easy the transmission likes to keep the engine revs at about 1,000 rpm! Seems like that would be really annoying to have it jump about three gears every time you get on the gas.

Thanks!

Cam
Well, I have never experienced it jumping three gears and havent heard anyone complain about it either. The Focus has plenty of torque to quickly pull you intothe optimal power band without having to downshift a bunch. Lower the rpms when taking it easy the better the fuel economy is going to be. Anyway, powershift has recieved significant updates over the past year. Imo, powershift never really had a problem, besides it could of been a little faster with shifts, it was really all public perception. Being used to smooth, slow shifting, lathargic, no feedback, torque converter automatics, people thought something was wrong when theyd feel their automatic shifting, especially at low gears (you know, just like manual trans). It wasnt that these cars were leaving people stranded at the side of the road, or blowing up, or chewing up gears, it was all really public opinion on how an automatic should be. And I think its kind of ridiculous for the media to be ripping down Fords credibilty and quality and listing it as something terrible (Consumer Reports) when there really wasnt anything seriously wring with it.

But to answer your question, 2013 should be just fine, I believe they smoothed out the shifts some and made them a tad quicker.