Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Where are the 5-speeds????
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #62
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,883, Level 66
Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
I purchased an SE with sport package and 5mt about two weeks ago. I don't know why anyone would go with the (notorious) automatic. The 5-speed is an absolute pleasure to row through the gears. I've owned 23 other vehicles (all manual) -- and this car has one of the nicest-to-shift manuals I've owned.
I don't know, maybe the fact that most of the complaints are coming from people who have no conception of what a DCT is and why its superior technology to that of the torque converter backed planetary gearset automatic. This plus the fact that it is a true 6 speed manual with automated clutch control means that its more efficient at freeway speeds than the 5MT kind of makes it a no brainer really.

Now if there was an equivilent 6MT available with similar gearing and it was available on the SEL or Ti trim I might have ordered this instead, but the 5MT as good as it may be to drive. I've driven at least one before making the hard decision to go with the higher level trim for the nicer interior materials and the very specific color combination that would not have been available with the manual in the U.S. anyway.

Besides the DCT is not inherently bad, just different from the automatics your parents grew up with.

Sorry, I'm just tired of reading all the vitrolent hatred for the technology. I've driven a manual for the last three years and the DCT behaves much the same minus having to actually use the clutch pedal.

I love the feeling of being hurtled forward as the car executes a perfect redline shift at 6500 rpm through each of the forward gears.