Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch...
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #70
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestra01 View Post
You can also take a standalone GPS with you when you travel or use a rental car. I hear you though, I like the integrated NAV too outside of its bugs, it is cool and pretty looking. If Ford finally wakes up and offers an unlock option I'm game but it doesn't hurt to have a stand alone GPS as a backup or for other uses.
Well I have a few Android phones and devices, which come with full navigation. It works perfectly, but I hate to have another device obstructing my view or to have to worry about. Another problem is that I've integrated a radar detector into my electrical system (it's on the windshield right under the rearview mirror). It looks professional, as it currently is, but if I want to attach a GPS to the windshield or sitting on the dash somewhere I doubt I can make it look professional. There just isn't another spot anywhere that would look good.

I'm a fan of making things look like they were built with that setup in mind. If I do it I'll have to somehow integrate it into my current system. Right now the radar detector is lined into the auto-dimming rearview mirror power (which is perfect since it runs at 13.4V and cuts down to 10V a few minutes after the car shuts down), but I don't think there's another power lining up there except for the sunroof, which I don't want to tie into.

I guess I could line it along the top of the windshield, but I hope my windshield tint strip wouldn't interfere with the GPS signal (I get somewhat poor GPS signal in my car with my phones/devices because of the ceramic tinting I'm using all around the car). I'll have to do a bit of planning and see what I can come up with...