Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - daylight sensor: how to make it more sensitive?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,676, Level 31
Points: 2,676, Level: 31 Points: 2,676, Level: 31 Points: 2,676, Level: 31
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ed8r* View Post
My question is, how does the sensor work? Does it detect angle of rays or overall brightness or what?
The light sensor, mounted on the center of the dash facing forward, works off overall brightness. The Body Control Module sends a 5 volt signal to the light sensor and the sensor provides a variable ground resistance to that signal based on ambient light level, with less resistance to ground at lighter ambient conditions.

Short of getting into the wiring in the dash and adding a resistor in the ground side of the circuit, about all you can do is try to 'spoof' the sensor into thinking it's darker than it is. The most innovative solution I've seen so far was the Titanium I saw a few months ago where they had placed a lens from a pair of (broken) sunglasses over the sensor.

It would be great if we were able to vary the sensitivity of the light sensor in the message center, as not everyone wants the same settings.