Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo089 View Post
I will be doing 60% highway driving and 40% around town. I expect to drive around 200 km a week on average..

I do my best to avoid traffic but a few times a month it is inevitable. Also, trips will always be under an hour(ranging from 20 mins up to 40ish)

Finally, our temp doesn't usually drop below 0C with only a week or two of snow.

Could you be more specific on the kind of irritation you experienced?

Thank you!
Sure, I can try. Let me put on my flame retardant suit first.

I dont beleive you will experienced what I define as an irritant since you wont be driving it in the same winter conditions. Imagine, if you will, this scenario:

It's winter time, it's 06h00, it's -10 Celcius, it's snowing and the roads are icy
You are stuck in morning trafic, bumper to bumper, to cross a bridge to get to work downtown...and you are going uphill

Of course you car will be equiped with the best winter tires your money can buy and you will drive with an egg under the gaz pedal, after all, it's a snow strorm and you dont want to wreck that new sexy Focus.

The following is what I experience with my car:
You press the gaz pedal to catch up with the car in front of you (remember, you are in bumper to bumper trafic). Still you press the gaz pedal with your big winter boots on, but nothing happens...the car doesnt move, so you press some more. Then, the car realize ''Oh, you wanna go forward? that much ? Ok buddy, here we go!!'' and then the traction control kicks in 'cause your wheels are spinning on the ice and you dont move at all. That's the biggest winter time irritant for me, with my car. I'm not saying they all do that, but mine does and it's annoyant as hell.

Now before you guys start trowing big chunks of molten lava in my direction, I'd like to share that I have drove in those same winter conditions for the last 28 years and that I even drove a Mustang in those same conditions, same road, same bridge with no driving aids at all...and I did just fine. I drove FWD, RWD and AWD cars, I've been around. I'm not expert but I'm no rookie either.

The FF shines in some area and does not in some other, in my book. I'll stick with the rest of the peeps here. Rent a FF, manual and/or DCT and have fun with it. Try it out, and get your own opinion about it. Yes the majority of owners are VERY happy about their FF...some others are less lucky and are having a pletora of issues, minor an major. But I agree, they tend to be isolated cases. Like mine.

Have fun experiencing!