View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #35
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thought I would give a status. Got the disconnect tool needed to remove the PS line from the cooler. Funny how you have to get a small plastic tool like that for only one connection. Could Ford not have chosen a type of hose interconnect standard and use that type of connection for all junctions? O well, only $10. Got the steering rack out and started cleaning it up. The inter tie rods are still nice and tight in their sockets so will be leaving them. Not sure about the outer's.

As long as the joint is solid with no play and does not flop around and the boot is in good condition the joint should be good right? or are there any tricks of the trade to determine the joint's life?

I have cleaned 1/2 of the rack and then fine SS brush "polished" the clean section up. Still have the other side of the rack to clean up, there is a lot of caked on crap on this thing.

With pulling the high and low pressure feed lines, do I need to replace the o-rings on them? or only if they appear damaged?

Last thing I have to worry about cleaning up is the air compressor. I wish I had some easy way of evacuating the system so I could pull the compressor to clean it up. Right now it being supported with bungee cords to relieve stress on the hose connections but is harder to clean up... just will just go through a few cans of brake clean.

I have prepared the shafts of the tie rod's to be painted in black POR-15 from the inner tie rod to the threads where the other joint screws on.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)