suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
I've got a mid-Feb build (so not a true Job 2 car). It's an SE Sport equipped with the 5 speed MTX-75 transmission. Other than the front suspension clunk and a coupe squeaks and what not this car is perfect. If you're that worried about the DCT, don't get it. If you're worried about MFT, don't get it. The nice things about the 2012's, there were a ton of options. Find one with the right ones, buy it and love it. If you really want to get picky, find a 2012 job 2 car or pick up a 2013.

Your feburary build would be a very late Job 1 car. Job 2 builds started 3/5/12 but it was not until 4/16/12 or so that they started to be built with the full number of changes including the four way head restraints and the flex fuel compatibility for non PZEV models.

Otherwise I concur with the MFT comment, but can't say I concur with the DCT vs MTX-75 comment personally.

If you do a lot of highway commuting at higher speeds that extra gear alone is worth a few mpg no matter how you drive. Sure theoretically you could almost meet or exceed the DCT's efficiency if you go slowly enough as to keep the revs down, but there is no getting around the fact that the gearing falls in favor of the DCT. I had strongly weighed my options prior to ordering the car but although I enjoyed the manual Focus I had driven it was just that the gearing hadn't been subsancially improved over my older car, which was also lighter. It helped that in the U.S. at least for 2012 my car was unavailable with the manual.

Just be aware that its an automated manual, not a planetary gear set automatic with a torque converter, if you can't get used to it then perhaps the manual is right for you.

My DCT has been good to me so far as are the majority of the units as far as I'm aware, most of the complaints come from a vocal minority whose units might be feeling the after affects of the earlier programming, hardware failures or user error, but I won't speculate as to what percentage might all be self inflicted.