Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Ford Racing handling kit now available
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #46
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Is that a sure thing? There are several members on here running Sportlines or Steedas with stock dampers, and haven't heard of any issues.
No issues yet, but the dampers will wear out prematurely. You're using the damper in a way it wasn't intended to, not to mention you're screwing even more with the suspension geometry. Just about every company that sells lowering springs recommends replacing the damper with ones made for a lowered vehicle.

I refuse to lower mine until the proper stuff is made available for the car and I know it isn't cheaply made. Koni yellows and lowering springs are the way to go if you want low without coilovers. The Koni's will last and your ride won't be horrid.

I've owned three lowered vehicles and I ran a 2" drop on my Blazer for a while with OEM struts. They lasted maybe 5,000 miles after I dropped it and the truck didn't have that many miles on it when I did it either. But I ripped everything out, put a 7" drop on it with struts made for a lowered vehicle and ran em for 25,000 miles with no issues. I learned with the other two cars just to do it right the first time.