View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Watch in the next few weeks when I begin a dedicated thread for UOA results as I track them in a detailed excel speadsheet. We did the same thing on SVTPerformance forums.

GT500 UOA thread

I have my factory fill sample from 945 miles as a baseline test. There will be additional testing with the Amsoil 5W-20 currently in the sump at every 3,000 mile interval. I will not change the oil at all, only test every 3,000 miles. Here is my factory sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I dumped the factory fill at about 1,500 miles and used cheap (but decent) old Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W20 and a PureOne filter. Changed that at 6,500 miles and sent in the sample, so a relatively low 5,000 miles on the oil.

To my novice eyes the results look great. Wear metals are relatively low especially for such a new engine, and very little fuel dilution. With a TBN of 3.9 and flashpoint of 410 the cheapo oil had plenty of life in it.
It amazes me that a cheap lubricant can perform easily to 5,000 miles, yet still have life left in it.....

but people still have a hard time understanding that a premium lubricant like Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 can easily perform up to 15,000 miles or one year per oil change (severe service schedule).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnprall View Post
How much did the analysis cost you?
Amsoil Preferred Customers only pay $26.00 for a complete oil analysis, also includes free TBN and oxidation testing. Blackstone charges you extra for TBN and they do not offer oxidation testing to my knowledge (unless specifically requested). Amsoil's $26.00 price also includes UPS return shipping. Polaris Labs actually does the testing. OAI is only a cover name from Amsoil.