Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #66
bdattilo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91198
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch Sport

FF Reputation: 1 bdattilo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved.
I have the same issue with my SE Sport, with ~15k miles. It definitely feels (and sounds) like the clutch is releasing/engaging very slowly, but only in gear changes 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6, leading me to believe that only one of the clutches is bad.

I took it to the dealer, and while the tech heard the issue, he mentioned that Ford said that unless it *fails* to shift, they are not to replace anything.

He did mention that he has seen the same rough shifting issue on Fiesta's that have the DCT, and that Ford *has* issued a fix for that.

Thomas - my dealer told me that they are keeping an open file for me and will let me know if something 'comes up' that is affecting me, any way you can get some info from this thread in my service record? Thanks!