Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Any interest in headlight modifications?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #89
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
You should try the resistors from Retro-solutions (as referenced in the HID thread). They seem to be working quite well for others, including my setup.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as well!

I was wondering how this kit would work for us.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the gap between the shroud and the reflector, and that's me being picky haha! This could be remedied by actually cutting a large enough hole for the projector and mounting it in the reflector... which is FAR easier said than done.

However, this way still looks pretty damn good.
Thanks! The gap isn't too bad. I was worried too, but once I got it together, its barely noticeable. The material the reflector is made of is very dense. Most reflectors in cars you have to be careful with because the silver will flake off if you even touch it, but not these, I am sure you could beat someone with these and it would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I guess I was more thinking if you didn't round the holes our correctly (not saying you did this... but I could very easily see me doing this) that the projector would sit off center. Then you'd want to try and compensate some how to help line them up. You wouldn't really know if you were off until you put them on the car. I just like to ensure everything looks good before putting the lens back on.
I ground very carefully and in small amounts to ensure the roundness of the hole that way I wouldn't run into any issues. There isn't much that needs to ground down anyways, its a very small amount. I can still get the stock bulb back in and secure. I understand where is your concern is though, we share the same concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
When I did a reftrofit on my VW Corrado SLC, I merely painted the inside of the reflector bowl. It obviously doesn't need to be reflective any longer, and that hides shroud gaps rather well. I also painted the housing black, but that's because I hate chrome! Shrouds were painted gunmetal.

Miss that car...
I love Corrado's. Before I got to my first duty station (Fort Leonard Wood) I bought a 1990 VW Corrado G60. What a fun car. The Supercharger whine was intoxicating.

Update: The LED's I installed have created a problem for me. It limits the amount of the adjustment of the reflector. The projectors in low beam are not at a distance I would like to have the light reach. So I am going to get the thin black LED strips and install those instead. Sucks because those LED's are pretty and very bright for little 5mm LED's. I guess thats the price of being the Lab Rat. LOL!

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.