Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Used Oil Analysis

After reading up on used oil analyses on BITOG.com I started to get a little spooked about our direct injection engines and the increased risk of fuel contamination of the oil. So for some peace of mind I had a Blackstone UOA done.

I dumped the factory fill at about 1,500 miles and used cheap (but decent) old Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W20 and a PureOne filter. Changed that at 6,500 miles and sent in the sample, so a relatively low 5,000 miles on the oil.

To my novice eyes the results look great. Wear metals are relatively low especially for such a new engine, and very little fuel dilution. With a TBN of 3.9 and flashpoint of 410 the cheapo oil had plenty of life in it.

I decided to fill it with Motorcraft Synth Blend this time (still using a PureOne filter) and will probably continue to. Since the MC blend is probably a little better than the Pennzoil dino oil, looks like we can pretty easily go 10,000 miles on the synth blend. Still, I’ll probably change this batch at 7,500 or so since the engine is probably still breaking in a little.

Here’s the Blackstone report and a comparison I did myself using some UOAs of 2nd Gen Foci on BITOG.com. I welcome your comments.