bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
There isn't a lot to do on the Focus, but there is more than oil changes in the first 100k: air filters (30k), cabin air filter (20k?), engine coolant (6 years on factory fill, 3 years after), tire rotation.

While the DCT has a "lifetime" lubricant, its capacity is quite small and a drain and refill looks to be easy and straightforward. With the trauma some DCTs have early in their lives, a drain and refill around 30k doesn't seem like a bad idea. My Mazda 6 speed manual calls for a fluid change every 4 years/50k - don't think the environment it lives in would be much different from the DCT's. The stuff I drained out of the Mazda at about 15k looked pretty nasty.
If someone is experiencing problems with the DCT, an early transmission fluid change wouldn't be the worst idea. I don't know how involved the change is though. With the VW DSG, you need VAG-COM or some other diagnostic software to make sure the fluid is at the right temp. It is also triple the fluid, and costs $20 a liter. Then there is a special tool to feed the new fluid in the transmission. I made one out of a funnel, plastic tubing, and other Home Depot parts instead. That was done on my last DSG vehicle at 40K miles. I wouldn't do the fluid change until the issues are fixed, or around the 60K warranty expiration.