Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Being cheap doesn't always save money
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Being cheap doesn't always save money

Working in the car industry I see a lot of times where people try to cut corners to save money.

Example: Once had a customer who had blown out her tires on her Mustang. She decided to buy the cheapest tire she could (like a week after she got her new tire) hit a curb at a high rate of speed and screwed up her rim.

Another one had a customer select a car purely based upon price even though I advised her to go with a slightly more expensive one that would have a much better reliable rate (Caliber vs Focus $400 price difference same options). At least she is getting her value out of the extended warranty.

Had one customer who spend 8 months purchasing in a way I had advised him not to he saved $450 and spent 3 additional unnecessary months waiting for a car that wasn't his.

Another individual had a transmission problem that had to go to a transmission specialty shop to be repaired (80 mile drive). The fix was quoted at $500 and towing an additional $200 ($700 total) he decided to drive he was advised that driving the car may damage the car more resulting in a more expensive bill. He drove the car, around mile marker 40 his transmission went from "slightly broken but repairable" to completely blown apart. Cost to replace $2,700.

My father once had to change the transmission fluid, this job on this particular job was actually quite complicated and involved especially for an individual not mechanically inclined. Well he was quoted $200 for parts, $200 for labor and 2 days turn around time, (we where on vacation) so he purchased the $200 in parts and started doing the work himself. 5 days later the parts where ruined and he had given up. The car could not be driven (no transmission fluid) so it had to be towed to the dealership ($100), we had to purchase the parts again (another $200) and then pay the labor cost (another $200).

My dad had later learned his lesson, we had received a free riding lawn mower form a friend. It needed some work on the engine which we where able to perform ourselves and we got the engine and everything running just fine. However the blades would not turn because of a worn out belt. We took it to the local lawn mower repair shop and they said "Belt's $20" we bought it my dad asked how much to put it on they said "It's a PITA, but we'll do it for $150" we paid our $170 came back 2 days later and got our lawn mower. It worked perfectly no stress. That thing ran for 5 years before we mowed, then we left it with the house.

Had he gone the "expensive route" he'd of spent $400

He went the cheap route which cost him $700

O yes and instead of being done in 2 days it was done in 8 days (5 days of his attempt, 1 day for the car to get to the shop, and 2 days at the shop)