Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Who Traded Down?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #70
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I traded my 2003 GMC Yukon for the Focus. I absolutely HATED to trade my Yukon in on smaller car. That truck was like the swiss army knife of vehicles. It did just about EVERYTHING well. Hauled people. Hauled gear. Towed about anything. Road trips were super easy and comfy. The reliability and fuel mileage ultimately did it in though. At 175k miles the Yukon was getting a little long in the tooth, and was starting to show some signs of age, and the reliability was going downhill. Hopefully the $250-$300/mo savings will buy me an old body style Suburban in the spring time for CASH. You see, we have a 20ft boat that currently doesn't have a tow vehicle for it.

I've been averaging about 18,000 miles a year the last 3 years, and with the Focus getting 30mpg, and the Yukon getting around 13.5mpg. The fuel savings alone is what drove my decision. The Focus is a nice car. It fits 95% of my current needs, and will save me some money while doing it. It's relatively fun to drive, and looks decent (I still hate the wheels though), and my wallet is already thanking me at 150mi on the odometer. I would've been 11-12 gals into the 22 gal tank at this point in the Yukon. I'm only about 1/4 tank into the Focus, and I'm sure it has a much smaller tank.

Here's the Yukon:

Here's the Focus: