Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #992
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
I think a lot of us are going to watch your outcome of the rebuild. Keep us posted man! Just got off with the phone and told my CSM that although the tsb "fix" has made the car a lot better than it was, I can still hear rattle over some heavy bumps. Then he offered for the dealership to replace the springs again....HELLO IT'S NOT A SPRING RELATED ISSUE.
Oh, don't worry. I will. There's one other guy who has installed the Koni struts, but he disappeared and hasn't posted any updates since the initial install. He did say that the end result was favorable... I wish he would get back to me, though.

The one thing holding me back on this project is the lack of availability on the Motorcraft AD1094 strut bearings. Whenever they are available again, I'll get my build together. I'm hesitant to order the bearings from anyone who has an existing stock, because I worry about a bad bearing batch being the culprit behind this whole mess. So, I want the strut bearings I install to be as fresh off the production line as possible. The other option I have, is to buy the Mazda3 strut bearings, but they aren't cheap. zx3matt also mentioned that his significant other's MZ3 has a similar clunking issue, and she has a new Skyactiv 3.

I do know it's not a spring related issue at all; my noise didn't change whatsoever with the installation of my Eibach springs. I also have some experience in tracking down suspension clunks; my last car had one that ended up being the upper spring mount that wasn't keyed properly to the strut. On my Focus, it has gotten worse over time, which leads me to believe that the problem is most likely due to either the bearing or the strut, or a combination of the two parts going bad together.