Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
So they will not be able to just upgrade to MFT/NAV by taking in an Non-MFT/NAV car...

But if i'm putting this together right in my head, if you "bootleg" someone's VIN that has the MFT/NAV, along with part number, and serial numbers, you could order the part from the ford parts counter at any dealership and buy the unit outright...

The question now, is there any thing that needs to be done to the vehicle using the IDS system to make an original non-MFT/NAV equipped vehicle work with the "enabled" APIM? or can you just bolt it in, connect the harness and BAM! it works?

if this is the case, and if they ever get MFT/NAV problems solved to where it's stable.. this may be something I may do in the future.. right now im planning full aftermarket for lack of any other options... hopefullly by the time i get around to doing my stereo, a bootlegged MFT/NAV ordering system will be possible.
Basically, yup. The way it works is that if you're replacing it (meaning, like for like) you get $500 back, so the unit comes out to $650. If you're buying it outright (in this case I would be since my unit is not the same as the unit I'd be getting) you pay the core charge too, so it's $1150. A lot of manufacturers used to do this in the 80s and 90s (and earlier) for parts that didn't wear...so you could get new brake pads and get a good amount back for your old ones.

All you'd need is the VIN# of a car and the part # of the radio. Those 2 things are required to order the part, but there's not really any "checking" on it. It just needs to be on the order form. The part # is obvious -- without it there's no way to know which of the 3 identical modules you need. The VIN# is only because dealerships have limitations on buying certain parts. Usually it's multimedia devices but it's often-times any high-price item. I doubt the supplier even looks up the VIN# to confirm it has the requested module, but I wanted to be sure so I'm using a VIN# from a car that *has* the MFT with nav.

So, yes, you can just walk up to a parts counter (or do it on the phone) and give them the VIN#, part#, and they'll order it for you right then and there. The guy at the local dealer already told me once I get the part # he can have it here next day.

And yes, it's plug-and-play. As long as you're going from a MFT system to another one (whether nav or not, and regardless of whether you have the backup camera package or not) it's just a "drop it in and start the car" bit of work. The one thing to note is that there are *many* different MFT modules. You have to make sure to get the one that's specific to the 2012 Focus (other models come with a hard-drive or connect to different types of modules).

Either way, as soon as I get a part # I'll order it and see what happens! I'll let everyone know, obviously. Once we get the part # it'll be easy to buy them in the future.