Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Sunshade that fits
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Tarmac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88653
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Tarmac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am a strong believer in custom cut sunshades. The universal fit ones are only good if you can somehow find one that fits. I have yet to see one that works will with the 1gen Focus. If you find one, tell us.

For custom fit, there are a couple of variations you will see and what I think are the pros and cons:

Folding (accordion-style) or roll-up: Folding is much quicker for most people. Also, I have read reviews where roll-up shades sag in the middle after a while. Folding is usually stiffened and will not sag.

Requires using the visors or not: Ideally there would be a really easy full-coverage sunshade that deploys easily and doesn't require the visors down. However in my research this doesn't exist. The shades that don't need a visor will take slightly longer to "pop" in and out. You should also consider whether you have a bunch of on your visor, like a garage opener, etc.

Winter option (black backside) or not: some high-end visors are black backed, theoretically so you can flip it around to absorb heat in the winter. Personally I think this is bad science. In sunlight, a clear greenhouse will be warmer than one with blacked out windows. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Lifetime warranty or not: Self-explanatory, I wanted lifetime warranty.

Lastly, as an aside, I prefer US-made, not because I think US is better, but because if it isn't, it is likely to be made in China, and I don't trust anything made in China except for electronics.

For me I ruled out rolling sunshades like the Intro-tech $35 model. It does get good reviews though. It came down to the $60 Intro-tech Ultimate vs. $55 Covercraft folding model. I went with Intro-tech ultimate due to the lifetime warranty. Covercraft is 90 days.

It fits well, is lightweight, there is a gap at the top where your visors will flip down. It comes with a case that is probably too big.