Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #453
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
You posted some interesting info here most of which seem at least plausible. I'm a little skeptical of the $1 /per gallon less due to Ethanol. I would be curious to know the estimated actual total cost to produce a gallon of Ethanol. Over the past few years, I have filled up at a station that carries E85. As gasoline (E10) has cycled down to $2 dollars and back up to $4. The E85 has always just tracked at .30 cents under the E10. So, were they selling E85 at a loss at $2? Are they making a great margin now getting $3.79?
Chicago Board price today is $2.57 for ethanol dropping to $2.30 next year. Earlier this year it was leaving the plants at around $2. Lots of E85 advocates frustrated with middlemen and retailers pricing to high when it was so cheap leaving the ethanol plants earlier this year. Another good one, a few years ago, an ethanol plant just west of Oshkosh WI was direct marketing their product(E10,20,30and 85)though their cardtrol stations around eastern WI. Would you believe the petroleum marketers assoc. sued for pricing to cheap using the minimum mark up law the state has and won. I'm in several plants and they are still making a slight profit for this year paying as high as $8.26 per bushel of corn. They don't tell us investors all the secrets so for all I know they may have bought corn on the board earlier when it was cheaper and making it there.