Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - ST+center exhaust=no hitch?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2005 SILVER ST

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
He is talking I think more the mileage difference with a rack and a couple bikes on it, versus the bikes being tucked behind the car. I know my friends A4 loses about 2-3mpg highway with either the rack and two bikes, or the rack and a thule box for his skis.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3