Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ST+center exhaust=no hitch?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,251, Level 35
Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I've heard it all before and I don't believe any of it. In my experience the only advantage a roof rack has is that it displays your "lifestyle" way up high for all those folks that like to make a statement about themselves more than they like to ride a bike. That roof racks are a much larger detriment to fuel economy over hitch racks can't be disputed by any serious person. You could probably get around the paint scratches with a little ingenuity but the amount of people that should know better that drive their expensive bikes into their garages or other overhangs thereby ruining their bikes, racks, car roof and garage doors is staggering. All it takes is once after a hard ride when you're pretty fatigued and inattentive. I've seen many people I know do it that I never dreamed would. As for "aeroblades" you got me there, never heard of that and don't care to Google it at the moment but most roof racks with bikes on them are noisy.

That said, the ST clearly chose looks over usability for me at least. I'm not going to buy multiple vehicles just to have a special one to transport bikes and will never use a roof rack. An optional rear exhaust setup that allowed the use of a trailer hitch for a rack would have been nice. It could have even been a dealer installed option. If you look at the back of the ST you can imagine a hitch will be possible but I can't imagine it being as hidden as a regular Focus hitch, it would negatively impact ground clearance on the lowered ST going up and down driveways and it would probably look terrible.

It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

As for slamming your bikes into your garage door and damaging your car, all I read in that paragraph was that you're telling yourself you're going to be one of those people and apparently you don't know how to handle your bike or pay attention. If you're too fatigued to realize your bike is on your roof rack and drive it into your garage, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And if you know a lot of those people maybe you should tell them what I just said.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
Sonic Crew #28