Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #446
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Napalm, Just reread the article about Dr Wang from Argonne Lab and all I saw was .78 million btu's petroleum to make 1 million btu's of ethanol. In the ethanol plant newsletter that came yesterday, an article about what if you anti ethanol folks get your way by waiving the RFS, RIN's, or what ever, what would happen. First the oil refiners would not be able to make sub-octane gasoline anymore. The lowest they could make is 87 octane. That would reduce the total gallons of gas from a barrel of crude. I think that would mean more crude would be used, correct me if I'm wrong. With ethanol they are also able to pan off some nasty molecules----I think the aromatics and maybe benzene. Okay, I think if we used more crude the price would go up but maybe you are right that more barrels used then the price would go down---I don't know about that. Now we have reduced the price of corn but the writer of the article did figure that because more petroleum fuel needs to be produced, fuel would be more expensive, so producing and hauling the food to the grocery store would cost more so that prices in the store would still be high. So I guess if the author is correct then farmers will make less on the sales of the corn, there will be less incentive to produce more corn, groceries will still be high and the oil companies should be making more money than ever---maybe that's the way it should be and you'd be very happy I'm sure.