Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #1448
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Can I make a sincere suggestion to you guys? Instead of rashly trading your cars in and losing thousands, try the following:

Short Term: Try driving your cars agressively over the next couple hundred miles (forget about fuel mileage over the next tank or two), and even try to work in a few successive 0-60 hard accelerations on a country road somewhere. That was a suggestion made on here to me early on and shortly after I did it, my launch shudder went away on its own. That was the only problem I had with the DCT and I was mad about it at the time, but with that simple break in procedure I managed to solve the problem on my own. Not saying it WILL be that easy for you, but it MIGHT.

Long Term: If you're worried about the longevity of the transmission, wait until you get to just under 60,000 miles (which the tranny is covered for). Come back on this forum and see how my owners have had to have major tranny work done at 50k+ miles due to early teething problems like you guys are experiencing. If it's a significant amount, pick up the minimum extended powertrain warranty that'll cover the tranny for another 60,000 miles or whatever. It may cost you a thousand bucks, but it's better than losing $6,000 now and has the added benefit of covering the rest of the powertrain to 100k+ miles, something you wouldn't get with the car you traded your Focus in on now anyway.

FWIW, I agree with Voldar on some things but not that the DCT should be driven in a very special way. Sure, there are some nuances you can employ to minimize the problems (such as fluid accelerator motion to minimize bogging down), but it shouldn't be that way. It's just the nature of this beast.
I will give it a try. I drove it today in S mode and shifted as though it were a manual trans. Had no issues at all since I was in control of all the up shifts and downshifts. Maybe if i do this long enough the computer will learn how to shift.